For the Denver Business Journal –By Stephanie Klein
When you’ve decided to look for a new job, and have worked diligently to secure an offer, having that offer in hand can lead you to believe your search is over. In reality, you’re not done yet. After receiving an offer, it is not uncommon to receive a counter offer from your current employer. Among HR and recruitment experts, conventional wisdom is that accepting a counter offer is career suicide, period. While most recruiters typically support this notion, many report experiencing an above-average incidence of it happening in the last several quarters. Why is there an increase? Is it still a bad idea to accept a counter offer? Let’s look at the factors contributing to this trend and how both candidates and employers can address it.
Have you ever heard of Planet Money? If you listen to NPR, you probably know what we are talking about. Planet Money is a multimedia team covering the global economy. The team produces a twice-weekly podcast and creates radio stories for Morning Edition, All Things Considered and This American Life. It also writes a blog.
What we love about Planet Money is how they break complex topics into interesting stories that affect our lives.
A member of this team, Lam Thuy Vo, recently dissected a topic dear to our hearts: What Americans do for work. And, they looked at how this has changed in the last few decades. Vo’s analysis is interesting, showing us how little some things change, and how radically others do change.
For the Denver Business Journal — By Stephanie Klein
Of all the benefits to having a solid, proven hiring process at your business, the greatest is this: hiring the wrong person, which is often the result of a misguided hiring process, can cost your business thousands of dollars and have ramifications that echo far beyond that single bad hire.
It’s a scenario many business owners can relate to: you have a short amount of time to hire someone for a critical role in your company, so you post a basic a job description on a few job boards, review a bunch of resumes and hold a handful of interviews, deciding quickly on who you feel could fit the position well.
As appeared in the Denver Business Journal — By Stephanie Klein
One of the biggest challenges our economy, as well as many businesses, is facing right now is a pervasive and ongoing skills mismatch. Companies are seeking talented, experienced people, but unemployment numbers are still high and holding flat, demonstrating that their quest for skilled workers is bearing little fruit.
Unfortunately for many employers and unemployed individuals, this trend shows no signs of slowing down and instead appears to be increasing. Reports suggest that by 2020, high-pay, high-skill jobs will account for nearly 75 percent of new jobs being created, with only a small percentage of individuals available to fill them. That leaves about 25 percent of low pay, low skills jobs to be divided among the majority of workers.
It goes without saying that things in the Colorado business marketplace are changing at warp speed. The recently roller coaster of economic outcomes and reporting underscores the volatility many are experiencing. Adapting to these forces means changing traditional ways of thinking, especially in employment, hiring and management. It means accepting some new realities, letting go of outdated ideas, and revisiting traditional practices with fresh eyes. Here are several Denver employment outlook predictions that will shape the next several years of hiring and management.